Saturday, July 26, 2008

Back to the Future

Well my first post ran a little long, I'll try to keep this one shorter.

My current office setup includes two Intel-ish PCs, one running Windows XP and one running Fedora 9. I typically use the Linux (ok GNU/Linux, get off my case) machine for email, browsing, programming and occasional image editing. I use the Windows machine mostly for finances, browsing, games, serving files, image editing and ripping my CDs. Both computers are hooked to an old Sony Trinitron 17" CRT monitor via a KVM switch. To get an idea of how out-of-date my setup appears I will include a picture:


Ok, that is kind of embarrassing, it looks like I swiped everything from a dorm room and stuck it in the corner of my home office. My goal is to replace everything with the new iMac currently on the FedEx truck making its way here.

I don't expect this to be an entirely smooth process. I've been out of the Mac OS game far too long to be comfortable with it and I plan to try and transition in stages. Ultimately I am going to need the following that I can think of at the moment:
  • Email (currently Thunderbird in Linux)
  • Web browsing (ubiquitous)
  • Personal finance tracking (currently MS Money)
  • Image editing (currently Windows XP Adobe Elements and Linux GIMP)
  • File serving to my PS3 (currently Windows XP using TVersity)
  • File serving to my HTPC (currently Windows XP SMB)
  • CD ripping to mp3, ogg and FLAC (currently EAC under Windows XP)
  • Programming (currently shell scripts, Java 1.6 and Eclipse in Linux)
  • Games (I'll tackle this topic later)
  • I'm sure I'm missing stuff, I'll fill it in as I go
Can the iMac handle it all and consolidate what is now a multi-machine effort into a single box and do it to my satisfaction? Hope springs eternal but I'm also realistic. We shall see.

No comments: