Friday, August 1, 2008

The Big Day

The iMac has landed!

With much anticipation I pulled it out of the box, plugged in the keyboard, mouse and power cord and away I went. The screen looks great, no noticeable problems. Setup was a breeze. I am currently connected via WiFi as it sits on the dining room table. I haven't disassembled the PC/Linux setup with desk in the office yet so the iMac is working in temporary quarters.
The first thing I did after setup was to update the software. That is taking a while but my connection is not the greatest. The next thing I did was find the terminal. Ahhh...I feel good.
General first impressions:
  • The packaging was attractive and functional.
  • The 24" monitor is very nice!
  • The machine is practically silent.
  • There is a lot of Unix-y stuff under the attractive GUI.
  • It will take a while to get used to the menu bar at top of screen paradigm.
  • I didn't know the keyboard had firmware (it was updated).
  • I need a mouse with more buttons.
I set up my main mail account, that was simple enough. I am going to give Mail a try and see how it goes. Adding my other accounts also proved easy. I downloaded Firefox and am going back and forth between Safari and Firefox. Is there adblocking for Safari?

The surface has just been scratched. I am in the process of transferring files from my other machines to this once that is done I can really get down to making the transition.

No comments: